How Assertive are You Continued
So what is assertiveness? It is handling yourself and yourbehavior so that you manage situations and deal with peoplein a confident and self assured way. Working to reach a satisfactoryconclusion for everyone concerned; by listening to their viewand honestly and clearly expressing your own views and feelingsso that they are heard by the other people, withoutbeing hurtful, destructive or counter-productive.
Assertiveness is more than a technique - it is about:
* Handling difficult situations more effectively.
* Understanding where you are coming from.
* Understanding that you have choices; e.g., in this situation,I choose to… instead of: in this situation I have to or I must…
* Having a sense of self worth.
* Helping you control the way you feel about the world andthe people in it rather than the other way around.* Communicating in a way that enables the other person to listen.
* Recognizing your own and other people’s rights andresponsibilities.